Tuesday 31 January 2012

Aller Moor & Greylake RSPB - Sat 28 Jan

After lunch I had a bit of time to myself and popped up on to the Somerset Levels in an attempt to locate the reintroduced Common Cranes. Now I won't get on my soap box and start slating the whole reintroduction attempt, something I think is a waste of money...especially for a bird species that is not internationally threatened, but a little rant is par for the course with me! Anyway, I found the birds but it was really the genuine unringed Common Crane that I was after and I soon located it amongst the flock of thirty plus plastic birds.
I then drove up to the RSPB reserve at Greylake and walked out to a pretty busy hide. A couple of Peregrines were sat up eyeing the mass of wildfowl and a third bird was seen in the distance buzzing some Lapwings. I also picked up my first Stonechat of the year but there was not really much else of note so with time getting on and as I had promised to cook dinner, I headed back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment