Sunday 19 February 2012

Sutton Bingham - Sun 19 Feb

An early start as I had promised to let Ellie catch up on some sleep so I planned on taking Tristan down to Radipole RSPB Reserve in Weymouth for a few hours. However, no more than twenty minutes in to the journey the car in front kicked up a stone that at first chipped and then cracked my windscreen...so it was a quick turn round and a stop off at Sutton Bingham instead.
My first stop was at the south-east corner near the Life for a Life remembrance garden. A Jay flew up in to one of the trees and I could see twenty Wigeon leaving the water to graze on the grass. A brief stop near the Water Treatment Works produced just a couple of Coal Tits and a Song Thrush so I made for the northern causeway.
West Pool again held a Great White Egret but it flew off shortly after I arrived. There were at least twenty Snipe present in the rough fringes and a couple actually flew out on to the mud to feed. A female Grey Wagtail was also seen.
I then drove down to the hide and took a walk along the path back towards the Canoe Club. The Great White Egret that had flown from West Pool was now present with its mate, though both were a little flighty. Some sixty Teal were counted and a Meadow Pipit flew over calling. A male Reed Bunting was singing out his territory. We had now been out for over two hours so I decided to head back home after a somewhat curtailed trip out!

No comments:

Post a Comment