Saturday 6 June 2015

Sutton Bingham - Sat 6 Jun

What a week...and it's June! I found myself with ten minutes to kill before work this morning so popped in to Sutton Bingham briefly and decided to try the area around the Canoe Club for a change. What a great decision, a Spotted Flycatcher was feeding and calling in the trees over the shed. A great year tick for the patch, and a Summer bird to boot...breeding? I hope so as the last couple I've seen here have been Autumn migrants.
Back then to the northern causeway and a quick look around. Checking West Pool I noticed a small white blob in the trees at the far end and my interest was piqued straight away. A look through the bins and my heart skipped a beat. I quickly got the 'scope out of the car and set it up. Yep, no doubt about it...an adult Night Heron! Unbelievable. What a cracking and very smart bird. Sat in the trees in typical Night Heron hunched pose I watched it for a couple of minutes before grabbing the phone to call RBA to get the news out. Unfortunately, by the time I'd finished the call the bird had vanished deeper in to the vegetation and as I had to get to work I couldn't hang around for it to reappear. I doubt it'll go anywhere today, but I may pop back tonight (time permitting) in the hope it leaves its roost and puts on a little bit of a show. Just think, two weeks ago I was dipping Night Heron's left, right and centre on the Isles of Scilly...and now I've found my own on my patch...result!
Sutton Bingham year list for 2015 now at 90 species.

Update: A return visit at around 9:15pm produced some really good views of the Night Heron at the far end of West Pool. After roosting all day it finally popped out again at 8:45pm and showed really well, if a little distant, for a small group of assembled birders. Now I never like to disappoint anyone, so as promised to a few of those present in the evening, here is my "best" record shot of the Night Heron!
Did I mention that is was a couple of hundred metres away in really bad light?

No comments:

Post a Comment