Monday 23 April 2018

Sutton Bingham - Sun 22 Apr

I managed a bit more time at the reservoir today, starting with a post breakfast visit I stopped off for a quick scan from the Fishing Lodge where a couple of Common Sandpipers were on the dam.
Round then to the car park and a short walk produced a calling Lesser Whitethroat and a pair of Reed Buntings. Overhead a Stock Dove flew south and three Black-headed Gulls passed through (they were all sub-adult birds).
I popped back late afternoon, again parking in the car park and walking down to the southern end. A Reed Warbler was singing away in the patch of brambles just south of the car park but failed to show itself. The same patch also held a singing Lesser Whitethroat (presumably the bird I had heard earlier in the day). This did eventually give itself up after about twenty minutes of waiting.
Further down the reservoir five Linnets were feeding with Goldfinches in the field between the Canoe Club and car park and a second Reed Warbler was heard and this time seen also near the sleeper bridge. A couple of Ravens passed overhead and there were still two Tufted Ducks at the southern end. A pair of Mute Swans were also present.
Returning to the car park I again stopped at the bramble patch where my first Willow Warbler of the year was seen. A very active and silent bird I guess it's just passing through. I then had quite a surprise as a Garden Warbler popped up from the brambles and afforded some good if brief views before it vanished in to the undergrowth. It sang for several minutes but failed to show itself again.
As I left I did stop at the northern causeway briefly and as I sat in the car a few Sand Martins and Swallows passed through. There were also plenty of singing Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs at the reservoir today, so things have certainly started to arrive. Better late than never!
Sutton Bingham year list 2018 now at 96 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment