Thursday 15 April 2021

West Sherborne - Wed 14 Apr

An Osprey flew over my office whilst I was at work today, a great addition to my Sherborne list but this was trumped when I got a call from James Watson early evening telling me he had seen a harrier, he presumed Hen Harrier, along Bradford Road and that it had settled in a field. So we took a family trip out to see it. Arriving on site James was still there and we observed the bird as it sat in the field, it soon became obvious that it was in fact a male Montagu's Harrier! We watched it for about twenty minutes or so until it took flight, showing the distinct black wing bars, and was lost to view over a hedge. Herewith a couple of awesome photos!
An absolutely brilliant find by James and I was glad we were able to get to see it, just two other local birders got there before it vanished, but with Bradford Road being a bit of a rat run parking is difficult and could not support a mass turn out so perhaps this was a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment