Sunday 31 March 2024

Sutton Bingham - Sun 31 Mar

Well March on patch has been pretty dreadful this year, until this afternoon's visit I had only added two new birds to the year list. I made one last desperate attempt to add something today and I actually succeeded. Arriving mid-afternoon I stopped at the northern causeway where a Common Sandpiper was present, albeit looking rather tired and fed up.
I then drove down to the southern end where three Sand Martins flew in from the south and headed up the reservoir. Finally, a Blackcap was in song at the southern end. So three Spring migrants...at last!
Rather frustratingly, I did also have a very poor and distant view of a large all dark thrush that flew away from me with a rather distinct flap, flap, glide flight. It didn't look right for a Blackbird and it left me wondering whether it was a Ring Ouzel, but the views just were not enough to clinch ID, so one that got away there.
Sutton Bingham year list for 2024 now at 76 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment