Sunday 17 October 2010

Melcombe Bingham - Sat 16 Oct

Ellie and I headed off after lunch to the village of Melcombe Bingham to try and connect with a Yellow-browed Warbler that had been present for the past few days. I knew that this was purely a twitch, but for once I had everything in my favour as today was my birthday...so I got to choose what I wanted to do!
We arrived mid-afternoon and luckily updated directions came out on my pager twenty minutes before we arrived at the village. We parked in the village and followed the instructions on the pager and fortunately as we arrived a couple of birders were on their way back after seeing the bird so we got bang up date gen on where the Yellow-browed Warbler was. However, we still had to stake it out for fifteen or so minutes as it skulked in a maple tree, but it eventually showed really well, and both Ellie and I delighted in seeing this splendid sprite.
As we were waiting for the bird to appear we noted a couple of fly-over Meadow Pipits, and Skylarks seemed to be contstantly calling whilst we were there. After connecting with our target bird we decided to head back home...a real twitch this afternoon, but well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment