Tuesday 4 May 2021

Sutton Bingham - Mon 3 May

I didn't get a chance to do any birding on patch over the weekend, but as it was a Bank Holiday I did manage an early start, arriving on site just before 7.00am, this morning. The morning began pretty well as I found a singing Lesser Whitethroat near the entrance to the Fishing Lodge in a territory I had noted in 2019 but seemed to be vacant last year. Lesser Whitethroat was a glaring omission on my 2020 list, mainly due to the lockdown that curtailed any access to the site during peak migration months.
I then popped down to the Fishing Lodge and had a bit of a surprise when I saw a Greenshank on the dam. I watched it for several minutes as it worked it's way in to the north-east corner in the company of a Common Sandpiper. A Spring Greenshank is somewhat unusual and so was nice to get on the year list.
Leaving the northern end I went round to the car park and walked down the arm. There were at least four singing Whitethroat and a flock of around twenty Linnet but nothing else to be found so it was back home for breakfast.
Sutton Bingham year list for 2021 now at 88 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment