Wednesday 15 December 2021

Sutton Bingham - Wed 15 Dec

Heartbreak on Monday as Dave Chown found the first Caspian Gull for Sutton Bingham, present from early afternoon until around 4pm when it was lost to view, presumably amongst the gathered roost. I arrived at 4.15pm and in dreadful weather and dismal light failed in my quest to see it. A two hour visit yesterday afternoon drew another blank but on a hunch I zoomed down to the reservoir during my lunch break today and refound it! What a tide of emotions over the past few days.
Initially on the causeway where a lady was throwing out bread it then took to the water before I succumbed to throwing bread myself and that drew it nice and close, the flight views were spectacular as this bird, a nice first-winter, flew by showing a snowy white head. Caspian Gull is a species I have searched for in numerous gull roosts at Sutton Bingham over the years, so finally connecting with one was brilliant, especially after the disappointment earlier in the week.
OK, the above photos are not as good as those taken by Dave when he found it on Monday, but I'm happy to have been able to see it and at least get a few record shots. I had to zoom back to the office so no time to see if anything else was about.
Sutton Bingham year list for 2021 now at 117 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment