Tuesday 15 February 2022

Mere Down and Fonthill Bishop - Thu 3 Feb

After a failed trip ten days ago (though I did see a dozen or so Tree Sparrows at Stourton) I returned to Mere Down this afternoon for another attempt to see the over-wintering Snow Bunting. Arriving at about 1.40pm I walked out to the favoured site and had a good search, but it was without reward, though I was treated to some cracking views of several Corn Buntings.
Overhead a small flock of seven Gold Plover and at least eight Red Kites were noted. I decided to walk on up the track a little further and was nearly bowled over with surprise when I put the Snow Bunting up from nearly under my feet! Over the next thirty minutes I enjoyed the company of this excellent little bird.
Leaving Mere Down I had time to head on to Fonthill Bishop and I look at the lake and to try and catch up with the small flock of Hawfinches that had been in the area. Unfortunately I was unable to find the Hawfinches but the lake held good numbers of wildfowl with the pick being eight Goosander and a drake Mandarin added a splash of colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment