Wednesday 10 February 2010

Yeovil and SBR - Wed 10 Feb

I headed in to Yeovil during my afternoon off, and set out to find the Black Redstart that had been seen frequenting a garden for a couple of days. Using a bit of detective work, I managed to deduce the area and drove up Larkhill Road and parked on a housing estate and walked around Ermine Street and Watling Street. After about fifteen minutes of searching I got the most fleeting of views of the bird and set off after it. After another tantalizingly brief view, I finally got a smashing view of the bird, a female.
I then headed off to Sutton Bingham, arriving at about 3.15pm. I spent an hour at the reservoir, during which time I saw a drake Goosander which was first near the dam before it swam down towards the southern end of the reservoir. On West Pool there were 58 Wigeon, with a further 35 at the southern end, also present 26 Tufted Ducks and a pair of Teal. Another 18 or so Teal were at the southern end, where a Peregrine flew over.
There were large numbers of gulls, primarily Black-headed Gulls of which there were around 300 present. There were also about fifty Herring Gulls and a handful of Common and Lesser Black-backed Gulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment