Monday 5 July 2010

Bracketts Copse NR - Mon 5 Jul

Having finished work at 4.00pm I decided to get a bit of fresh air and headed off to a new site near Halstock. This was a small nature reserve owned by DWT and despite it only being seven miles from home, a site I didn't know existed before a few days ago.
As I got out of the car at the small parking area I saw a Small White and a Small Tortoiseshell feeding on the bramble flowers. I then walked in to the reserve proper and through the woodland where I saw a couple of Treecreepers feeding. I could hear a Great Spotted Woodpecker calling and a Marsh Tit was also present.
I passed through the wood and out in to a meadow. The early evening sun meant that there were a few butterflies about, mainly Ringlets and a few Meadow Browns. A surprise find was a Silver-washed Fritillary which was present for a while before disappearing in to the trees. A Marbled White was also on the wing and I managed to get a few shots of a Comma:



As I reached the end of the reserve I saw a Nuthatch and some newly fledged Great Tits and Coal Tits. I could not find a circular walk so I retraced my steps back through the meadows and woodland to the car having anjoyed a good hour and a half at Bracketts Copse.

1 comment: