Monday 23 August 2010

Portland Bill - Mon 23 Aug

An early start as I headed down to the coast for a planned sea watch. I arrived just after 8.00am and was disappointed to learn that the wind was not doing quite what I hoped it would be, meaning I was not going to get much action.
I spent about ninety minutes staring out to sea, with very little reward. A single Manx Shearwater was by far the pick of a pour crop, and another shearwater passed by at such a distance I could not identify it. Several Gannets were passing through and a single Fulmar was seen. Four Common Terns also flew past, whilst on the rocks a couple of Turnstones were present and at least five Oystercatchers were about.
On the ground there was little happening apart from some good numbers of Wheatears, with at least twelve being seen.
With so few birds around, and with the weather closing in, I gave up for the morning and headed back home for an early lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment