Saturday 1 October 2011

Black Down - Sat 1 Oct

My recent run of successful twitches ended with a dispointing dip in north Somerset this afternoon. I headed up to Black Down in the Mendips straight from work in a hope of seeing the juvenile Pallid Harrier that was found earlier in the week.
Unfortunately, I could not give it much time due to the fact I was on call and this site was right on the edge of my one hour responce window, and I also have a pregnant wife waiting for me back home!
Whilst at Black Down I did have a small flock of half a dozen Crossbills fly over, and on the moor there were several Linnets and Meadow Pipits and a couple of Wheatears. Lots of Red Admirals were also on the wing. So after less than a hour I had to head back home, only to get a pager message an hour after I had left the site to say the Pallid Harrier had been seen again...you win some, you lose some. I'm just glad I'd already seen a couple in the UK!

No comments:

Post a Comment