Sunday 15 April 2012

Arne RPSB - Sun 15 Apr

A knackered break pad meant my car was off the road today (and will be for tomorrow at least as well) but we still managed a family trip out as Ellie drove us all down to Arne RSPB reserve where we enjoyed a pleasant walk out to Shipstal Point. Despite the sun it was still quite chilly at times and there was quite a wind blowing...which put pay to seeing any heathland species.
The highlights of the walk included a pair of summer-plumaged Mediterranean Gulls that flew over and eight Sandwich Terns sat on a sand bar. On returning to the car Ellie and Tristan had a rest whilst I walked out on to Combe Heath.
Again I drew a blank with some of the speciality species I had hoped to see with the heather and gorse producing just a pair of Stonechats. However, the day was rescued by an Osprey that was sat on a perch in Middlebeare Channel. If you squint when you look at this shot I managed with my mobile and use a bit of imagination you can clearly see that it is indeed an Osprey.
So not much in the way of birds today, but a lovely day out with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment