Monday 28 April 2014

Sutton Bingham - Sun 27 Apr

A visit to the reservoir late morning produced a cracking summer plumaged adult Black Tern hawking over the water and viewable from the northern causeway and the car park. I really nice find and given the recent weather conditions I had been hoping one would drop in. A Common Tern, which caused a few discussions given that it was a pretty pale bird, was also present. I had initially dismissed this bird as a Common, had another look later in the day and thought Arctic, then saw the bill in better light and the diagnostic black tip confirmed my first thoughts! One of the things I love about birding, you're always being kept on your toes.
I didn't see anything else of note in the morning, but did pop back in the evening and both terns were still present. A Kingfisher was also seen at the southern end of the reservoir and the first real numbers of House Martins were present.

No comments:

Post a Comment