Monday 27 July 2015

Ham Wall RSPB - Sat 25 Jul

I felt like I needed my passport this afternoon as I ventured "off patch" to do a little birding on the Somerset Levels with a visit to Ham Wall.
As always it was a pleasant stroll on a very warm afternoon, and it speaks volumes about how much this reserve has come on when you wander around seeing species that would have sent your heart racing a few years ago but now barely attract a second glance. That being said, it is nice to get good views of quality birds.
A Bittern was seen in flight and dropped down in to reeds fairly close to where I was stood, so some good close views. The only Great White Egret I saw was a distant bird in flight. A female Marsh Harrier did a sortie over the reed beds and a lone Hobby was noted. On the deck a flock of Black-tailed Godwits was present from the second viewing platform, most were obscured, so I could only count fifteen birds. Three Lapwings were the only other waders I saw.
All in all an enjoyable afternoon out and about.

No comments:

Post a Comment