Monday 20 June 2016

Sutton Bingham - Sun 19 Jun

As a special Father's Day treat I managed a couple of trips to the reservoir today, starting with a pre-breakfast visit. Frustratingly I saw a Little Owl just a hundred yards from the edge of the patch, but despite trying I was unable to see it from Sutton Bingham, so it can't go on the patch year list!
A sub-adult Great Black-backed Gull was again present, presumably the same bird that was seen last week. I also witnessed a rather interesting sight as a Herring Gull flew over carrying a squirming Mole! This was my first sighting of a live Mole at Sutton Bingham (though I doubt it stayed in that state for long).
Returning mid-afternoon and dodging the worst of the rain that had been hammering down for most of the day it was safe to say that it was not going to produce anything, however, it was nice to get a bit of fresh air. I was sat on the decking at the Canoe Club just minding my own business when I heard a familiar call and sure enough, two Curlew flew in from the north right past me and continued heading south over the reservoir until they were lost to view. I've not seen a Curlew at Sutton Bingham for many a year, so a real bonus bird for the patch year list.
Sutton Bingham year list for 2016 now at 94 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment