Monday 12 June 2017

Ham Wall RSPB - Sun 11 Jun

I had a couple of free hours late morning so took myself up on to the Somerset Levels. I had a rough route I wanted to take, but as it happens I ran out of time so ended up spending most of my time at Ham Wall. I made a quick detour on the way to Ham Wall to try and connect with a bird I've never seen in the UK...and unsurprisingly I didn't see one today either, however I did connect in so far as I heard at least two singing Quail!
On then to Ham Wall and everything started well as I connected with the first-summer female Red-footed Falcon showing distantly from the bridge that crosses the drain just east of the car park. So far so good. I also saw a Bittern in flight and a couple of Hobbies.
On then to the far eastern end of the reserve where a thirty minute stake out failed to produce any sight or sound of the Little Bittern, and with time against me I had to call it day. Other highlights this morning included at least four Great White Egrets and a calling Cuckoo, plus my first Sedge Warbler of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment