Thursday 26 April 2018

Longham Lakes - Tue 24 Apr

I was attending a business meeting just down the road from Longham Lakes (for the second time in a week) and during the scheduled lunch break I had a chance to whizz down the road to try and see the long-staying Bonaparte's Gull. Last weeks attempt had been in vain (though I did manage to see the drake Scaup) but today was much more profitable and I only had to wait a few minutes before this wonderful small gull flew in and treated me to some excellent views.
The Bonaparte's Gull was in neat second-summer plumage and looked wonderful, with all the key features showing nicely.
Whilst on site I also managed to see my first Swifts of the year with several dozen whizzing around in the drizzle. A single Common Sandpiper was seen and an Oystercatcher flew in to the flooded field next to the lakes. A couple of Mediterranean Gulls dropped in (an adult and second-summer bird). No time to investigate the lakes further but it was well worth popping out for "lunch".

No comments:

Post a Comment