Monday 23 July 2018

Sutton Bingham - Sun 22 Jul

An early start this morning with a couple of Common Sandpipers near the dam and then a fly-through Hobby just as I left the Fishing Lodge (my first Hobby on patch since the mid-May bird). Round then to the northern causeway where I had a real shock! A Great White Egret was stood on the causeway. Not wishing to risk flushing it I parked at the Sailing Club entrance and set up my 'scope, managing to get a few photos of it before a car zoomed past and flushed the bird.
 
Fortunately it didn't fly too far and when I left it was feeding under the trees below the car park. This is only my fourth Great White Egret at Sutton Bingham and my second "self-found" bird. As you can see from the photos, it was ringed but unfortunately I could not make out any details, though apparently it could be one of four juveniles ringed at Ham Wall RSPB this year.
Sutton Bingham year list 2018 now at 109 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment