Monday 20 March 2023

Sutton Bingham - Sun 19 Mar

A very quick pre-work yesterday stop turned up my first patch Chiffchaff of the year and my first Sand Martins were seen last Thursday but a lot more excitement this afternoon as I found myself with a bit of spare time so made a visit to the reservoir. After having brief views of an interesting gull on the northern causeway (2cy Caspian Gull was my initial thought but it flew as I got out of the car and was quickly lost to view), I scanned West Pool where a small white bird was sat on the water. I thought it was worth a better look so got the 'scope on it and was amazed to realise it was an Avocet! Always distant and in poor light, I did get some photos.
Only my second Avocet at Sutton Bingham, my only previous one being on exactly the same date, 19 March, back in 2018. This one was obviously fairly happy swimming around rather than searching for food and fortunately many of the local Sutton Bingham birders connected with before it departed.
Sutton Bingham year list for 2023 now at 78 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment