Tuesday 2 January 2024

Sutton Bingham - Mon 1 Jan

So another year starts and I spent a couple of hours at the reservoir this morning where I made a fairly good start to the new year list. Starting new the Fishing Lodge I noticed a duck out in the middle of the reservoir on its own, it was a female Pintail, a species I missed in 2023 so was thrilled to pick one up on the first day of the year. A total of thirty-nine Wigeon were present, still significantly down on usual winter numbers. At the southern end I picked up around fifty Teal and a pair of Mandarin whilst overhead a Stock Dove flew by. A Marsh Tit was heard calling, but I couldn't pin it down, likewise with a calling Siskin. Along the arm a pair of Stonechats were present. All in all an enjoyable visit this morning, made all the better with it being the first day of a new year.
Sutton Bingham year list for 2024 now at 47 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment