Thursday 29 February 2024

Sutton Bingham - Thu 29 Feb

Well February has been a pretty poor month, not much reported from the reservoir by other birders and my infrequent visits have yielded very little, with additions to the year list limited to a Chiffchaff in the car park and a Reed Bunting along the arm. Today, however, was a little more interesting when I arrived on site having made for the Fishing Lodge and a flock of eight birds flew from the direction of West Pool towards me before banking and heading north, they were Curlew! My single largest count of this scarce bird for Sutton Bingham and a very welcome addition to the year list.
Soon after the Curlew flew through I happened to notice another larger flock of birds to the north-east, Golden Plover, about forty of them. So a second decent year tick.
The rest of my time on patch this afternoon was nowhere near as exciting, a lone drake Tufted Duck was at the southern end and three Siskin were in the car park. There was still a fairly decent flock of Wigeon present but nothing else amongst them.
Sutton Bingham year list for 2024 now at 71 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment