Sunday 22 August 2021

Sutton Bingham - Sun 22 Aug

Another morning visit to the reservoir today and with nothing happening at the northern causeway I headed round to the Fishing Lodge where I saw a couple of Yellow Wagtails in the horse paddock and three Common Sandpipers were zipping around. A Kingfisher also put in a show. Then, as I was chatting to the Wessex Warden Ranger, I noticed an egret fly in and immediately thought "that looks different" and fortunately it landed in a tree and I was able to confirm my initial thoughts, a Cattle Egret.
It was rather too distant to get anything other than a blurred white blob with a yellow bill sticking out, but it was my second patch Cattle Egret nonetheless (after finding one in June last year). Admittedly Cattle Egrets are increasing in number in the UK and I'm sure they will become more and more regular at Sutton Bingham in the coming years, but it was still an awesome bird to find.
Sutton Bingham year list for 2021 now at 104 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment