Sunday 4 December 2011

Sutton Bingham - Sun 4 Dec

Ellie felt a little better this morning so I dropped her off at church and spent an hour at the reservoir. I started off at the northern causeway and scanned over West Pool where there was a flock of forty-one Wigeon and a smaller party of eighteen Teal. Well over a hundred Redwings were milling about along with a few Fieldfares and a couple of Meadow Pipits...all of which got spooked when a female Sparrowhawk drifted across West Pool and over the bushes, scattering many of the thrushes.
On the main reservoir there were at elast thirteen Common Gulls in with the more regular species.
I then drove on down to the hide and scanned the southern end of reservoir. Ducks were again the most conspicuous birds present with a further ninety-one Teal and over a hundred Mallard. A single Wigeon was also present and the surprise find of the day was a female Pintail.
Having seen very few Sparrowhawks at Sutton Bingham this month I was surprised when a second female whizzzed over the water scattering the Teal. Before I knew it my hour was up and it was time to head on back and collect Ellie.

No comments:

Post a Comment