Saturday 26 November 2011

Lodmoor RSPB & Wyke Regis - Sat 26 Nov

Finishing work at midday I drove straight down to Weymouth and arrived at Lodmoor RSPB at about 12.50pm. I parked in the beach car park today, instead of my usual spot on Beachdown Way, and walked along the west of the reserve. I was looking for a flock of Starlings and found them without too much trouble feeding on the mud...that was the easy bit.
Searching through the flock I could not find what I was looking for, until after just ten minutes, the juvenile Rose-coloured Starling I had been searching for suddenly appeared. I watched the bird for ten minutes or so before heading off.
Also at Lodmoor I noted a few Snipe feeding and a Reed Bunting was also seen. A couple of Water Rails were heard squabbling in the reeds.
Leaving Lodmoor I drove through Weymouth and on to Wyke Regis, parking along Camp Road and wakling west for about a kilometre. After speaking to a few birders along the way I soon found the area I was looking for but the bird I was after proved to be much more elusive. I was hoping to see a Hume's Warbler that had been present since Wednesday. Whilst waiting for the warbler to show itself I scanned across The Fleet where the flock of Dark-bellied Brent Geese contained a pair of Pale-bellied Brents and a Black Brant.
Over the next thirty minutes I heard the Hume's Warbler call at least four times, and after missing a fleeting glimpse of the bird I eventually got lucky as it came out in to the open to feed for a short period. It was far too mobile to even attempt a record shot with my phone, but it was a delightful bird to see.
So with the two targets ticked off I headed home for a late lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment