Sunday 27 May 2012

Catcott Lows NR & Meare Heath NR - Sun 27 May

I set off with Tristan at about 8.20am and drove up to the Somerset Levels where our first stop was at Catcott. Although I didn't see anything of note from the hide, I did have some cracking views of a Cuckoo singing away as I approached the reserve.
I then drove round to Ashcott Corner (seeing my first Spotted Flycatcher of the year in Westhay village), parked up, and popped Tristan in his pram for a walk out on to Meare Heath. Overhead a female Marsh Harrier was harassing a Buzzard, whilst at least two Bitterns could be heard booming from deep within the reedbeds. The drained lagoon hosted the usual suspects, including a Great White Egret. Tristan then decided he had reached his limit of excitment for the morning so we drove home.

No comments:

Post a Comment