Monday 17 February 2014

Sutton Bingham - Sun 16 Feb

I spent nearly two hours on site this morning and the first half of that time was spent around Cotton Bridge at the southern end of the reservoir. A Raven was hanging out with other corvids in one of the fields and as I walked down towards Cotton Bridge three Siskin flew over. A pair of Nuthatches were being very vocal in the trees above me as I walked along and when I reached the flooded area where the feeder stream enters the reservoir I flushed fourteen Snipe and twenty-four Teal. Four Wigeon were also present.
I then retraced my steps back to the car and spent half an hour or so in and around the car park. A Coal Tit was another new bird for the patch year list and a couple of Treecreepers and Goldcrests were also seen and a Stock Dove passed overhead.
I returned to Sutton Bingham later in the day for another walk around. This time starting at the car park and following the water's edge as far as the site of the old hide and back again. A pair of Bullfinches were seen by the Canoe Club and were the fourth new species for the SBR 2014 patch list of the day. Another Stock Dove flew over and I also saw a female Reed Bunting and a Meadow Pipit. Three more Snipe were also disturbed from the waterside vegetation.
Back at the car park things had quietened down a bit but a walk round to the church produced two Chiffchaffs and a singing Song Thrush. So plenty of time on patch today and four new birds for the year list...plus bright skies, warm temperatures (for the time of year), and no rain!
Sutton Bingham year list for 2014 now at 65 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment