Saturday 21 June 2014

Abberton Reservoir - Tue 17 Jun

Our cottage was not far from the large Abberton Reservoir, and this morning I decided to pay the site a visit before breakfast. There are two causeways that cross the reservoir and I started on the eastern causeway where scoping across the water I could see several Common Terns feeding over the water. There were also good numbers of Greylag Geese, Canada Geese and Mute Swans. A Little Ringed Plover was sat on a shingle area and hardly moved during my stay, so I presume it was on eggs.
A Corn Bunting was a nice surprise as it perched on a barbed wire fence and a couple of Linnets flew over.
I then moved down to the western causeway, known locally as Layer Breton causeway. From here I could hear a purring Turtle Dove, but couldn't see it. I did see a very smart male Yellow Wagtail though feeding on the causeway and four Egyptian Geese were resting on one of the small islands.
A return visit at the end of the day produced two Green Sandpipers from Layer Breton causeway

No comments:

Post a Comment