Saturday 21 June 2014

Fingringhoe Wick EWT - Sat 14 Jun

In Essex for a week, tagging a few days holiday on to the trip up for a friends wedding and today I popped the mile or so down the road to the Essex Wildlife Trust reserve of Fingringhoe Wick, startling a pair of Red-legged Partridges from the side of the road as I drove along. I arrived at 6.30am and the gate to the reserve was closed, however, there was parking off the road so leaving the car I took a stroll around for about an hour. I was greeted by the singing of at least four Nightingales, though typically they were well hidden in the undergrowth. There were also several Cuckoos on the reserve with probably five different birds either seen or heard. I didn't really get much of a chance to explore the reserve fully as I needed to head back to our cottage for breakfast, but it looked promising so I knew I'd be returning at some stage over the next week.
I took a slightly route back to our cottage and passed through a sand quarry, a few birds about such as Skylarks and Stock Doves and a large colony of Sand Martins, highlight though was a Little Owl...unbelievably the first owl I have seen this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment