Monday 27 October 2014

Sutton Bingham - Thu 23 Oct

I managed another morning at the reservoir today and started off by checking out the extreme southern end of the reservoir around Cotton Bridge, etc. The flock of Wigeon which has been near the dam for the past few days was today around the south of the reservoir and being typically flighty, so my presence soon put the flock in to the air and I counted fifty-four birds as they headed off. Overhead eight Meadow Pipits and five Skylarks passed by and a couple of Raven were also seen.
West Pool hosted a single Tufted Duck and the first two Common Gulls of the winter were on the main reservoir off the northern causeway. A couple of Kingfishers were also seen.
However, the highlight of the morning was not related to birds at all. As I was creeping around the water's edge near Cotton Bridge movement in the water caught my attention, after a few minutes I was treated to some amazing views of what I presume was a family party of Otters, a female and two kits I would guess. The three Otters put on quite an amazing show as I watched before they finally vanished...amazing stuff and I was less than five metres away.

No comments:

Post a Comment