Thursday 19 March 2015

Radipole RSPB & Maiden Castle - Wed 18 Mar

A lovely afternoon and some time off work so I headed south and made a flying visit to Radipole RPSB in Weymouth. I parked at the tennis courts along Radipole Park Drive and pretty much the first bird I clapped my eyes on was the first-winter Bonaparte's Gull! Result! It showed really well, down to just a few metres at times, as it was fly-catching above the water.
I didn't really have time to linger here so with the target bird safely "ticked off" it was back to Dorchester and a visit to Maiden Castle. I'd not been to this site for a couple of years and it was good to pop back for a walk around. Typical farmland habitat and within minutes of being on site I was surrounded by the song of Skylarks and the calls of Goldfinches and Linnets. A Raven passed overhead and a couple of Stock Doves flew through (my first of the year!). However, I was really here to see a male Snow Bunting which had been around for a few days, and luck was with me again today as I soon found it feeding along the cycle path and drinking from a puddle. As with the gull I got some brilliant close views...however, the battery in my phone died so none of my quality photos!
I also found four Wheatears as I scanned the fields and another quality bird with a Corn Bunting flying over before pitching in a small tree. All in all very enjoyable afternoon out.
UK list for 2015 now at 130 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment