Monday 28 September 2015

Abbotsbury Swannery - Sun 27 Sep

A lovely afternoon so I headed off to the coast and paid a visit to the Swannery at Abbotsbury as I'd not really made the most of my membership recently. An enjoyable stroll around the grounds produced the expected species...such as Mute Swan! There were already good numbers of duck present, with at least thirty Pintail on The Fleet and large numbers of Teal and Shoveler as well as Pochard and Tufted Duck. As I walked along a Hobby flew in from he north passed just over my head, caught a flying insect, and then zoomed off...great stuff. Scanning the far shore I managed to locate the juvenile Osprey which had been present for a week or so. It was sat on a post tucking in to a recently caught fish. A Kingfisher flew on to the adjacent post, but didn't hang around. Having missed two Ospreys at Sutton Bingham this autumn, it was nice to see one, albeit a bit distant and with it's bum pointing straight at me!
I was unable to locate the single Scaup which had also been present recently, but it was nice to visit somewhere different for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment