Thursday 24 September 2015

Sutton Bingham - Sun 20 Sep

I was up early so popped down to Sutton Bingham to see if anything had dropped in overnight. Arriving on the patch at 7.00am there was a blanket of fog covering the reservoir! I persevered though and spent a bit of time around the Water Treatment Works (where I didn't' really see anything much) before moving up to the dam as the early morning sun started to burn away the mist.
A single Common Sandpiper was still present whilst overhead a Meadow Pipit and two Snipe were an indication that there was a little bit of migration going on. A Raven did a very obliging and close fly-past and a couple of White Wagtails were noted.
I then had a quick check of the reservoir from the northern causeway before moving on down to the Canoe Club. From here I noticed some small birds on the wire fence along the back of the field on the opposite side of the road. I managed to get close enough to 'scope the birds and discovered two Whinchats and a Stonechat. They showed really well for several minutes before disappearing, scanning to the right I soon realised why as a rather smart male Sparrowhawk had landed on the hedge! I did manage a couple of record shots of the Sparrowhawk and one of the Whinchats.
Continuing to the southern end of the reservoir I failed to find anything else so headed back home for breakfast. I quick return visit late morning produced a small flock of ten Siskin in the car park.

No comments:

Post a Comment