Monday 5 October 2015

Sutton Bingham - Sun 4 Oct

A very busy weekend meant that I'd not had the chance to do anything much in the way of birding until mid-afternoon on Sunday. As a result I didn't have the time to twitch the Red-throated Pipit in Gloucestershire or the Ridgeways' Cackling Goose in Devon so instead spent a hour or so at Sutton Bingham with the sole intention of finding something decent myself. I failed!
Starting at the dam I did see a few bits and pieces, in fact this was the best spot to be on patch this afternoon, with a couple of Chiffchaff, three Linnet and four Meadow Pipits alongside a good number of Pied Wagtails and at least one White Wagtail and two Grey Wagtails. I also saw a couple of Kingfishers.
Moving round to the northern causeway I found my first Common Gull of the winter, but that was it. So down to the southern end where six Wigeon were present and a single Little Grebe was seen as well as another Kingfisher.
I rounded off my visit with a walk from the Canoe Club to the car park and back. I large mixed flock of tits held a couple of Goldcrests and a Treecreeper, but no hoped for scarce warblers. I did flush a smallish bird from the waterside vegetation but it swam quickly away before I could get anything on it, the mass of plants obscured pretty much everything. Despite searching I failed to relocate it, but I was left thinking it could only have been a Water Rail...shame really as it would've been a patch year tick!

No comments:

Post a Comment