Monday 12 September 2016

Shapwick Heath NNR - Sun 11 Sep

Somewhere different this afternoon and a trip up on to the Somerset Levels and for the first time this year I took a walk out to Shapwick Heath NNR. I made straight for the new hide, though it's been open for a few months now, and scanned the second lagoon checking the various waders present. I counted 232 Black-tailed Godwit, 91 Lapwing, 12 Snipe, 9 Ruff, 2 Greenshank and 2 Green Sandpiper...so not bad for waders really! There were also two Great White Egrets present and a good number of wildfowl.
On then to Noah's Hide and a scan from there produced another two Great White Egrets and a distant perched Hobby. A female Marsh Harrier was over the back of the lake.
I then headed back to the car and just as I re-joined the main path a Glossy Ibis flew over my head going towards Noah's Lake, a great end to a lovely afternoon out.

No comments:

Post a Comment