Monday 27 February 2017

Sutton Bingham - Mon 27 Feb

A couple of visits to the reservoir over the weekend failed to produce much, though Wigeon peaked at twenty-nine birds after several days of not seeing any on patch. An adult Great Black-backed Gull was also seen. However, a quick stop on the way in to work this morning turned up a real unexpected find. As I drove up to the northern causeway to park, an all white gull took flight and settled on the water...an Iceland Gull! I quickly stopped the car, grabbed my phone and got a record shot, I reckon it was a first winter bird.
Over the next five minutes I was able to get the 'scope set up and rattle off a couple of slightly better pictures before leaving at 8.00am, the bird took off from the water as I drove past but looked pretty settled.
 
 
 
This is my second Iceland Gull at Sutton Bingham following a bird in January 2014, this one was much more obliging though.
I popped back in to the reservoir on my way home from work and the Iceland Gull was present in the gull roost. Two adult Mediterranean Gulls were also present.

No comments:

Post a Comment