Friday 11 January 2019

Sutton Bingham - Thu 10 Jan

So a few short trips to Sutton Bingham at the start of the year failed to produce much other than a drake Gadwall on Jan 2 and a Peregrine on Jan 4 meaning a rather dismal total of just 42 species by the end of the first week.
A little over an hour on patch this afternoon though but again it was hard going. A single Snipe was flushed from the water's edge near the Canoe Club and other than that it was routine fair. So I made for the southern end and a wander around Cotton Bridge. A total of twenty more Snipe were seen plus a pair of Gadwall, a single Wigeon and around twenty Teal. However, star bird without a doubt was a Woodcock that had obviously been disturbed by something and flew straight towards me and over my head before I lost it in the trees. Awesome! Only my third Sutton Bingham Woodcock and the best views I've ever had at the reservoir.
Sutton Bingham year list 2019 now at 49 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment