Tuesday 25 May 2010

Meare Heath NR and Ham Wall RSPB - Tue 25 May

Another lovely day so I decided to pop up on to the Somerset Levels after work. I arrived at Ashcott Corner car park at about 6.15pm and walked out along the track on to Meare Heath. The drained lagoon produced a drake Garganey, my first of the year, and eight Black-tailed Godwits. Four Lapwing were also present.
I then walked out towards Noah's Lake and scanned across the area. A couple of Cuckoos were singing, one of which showed, if a little distantly. At least five Hobbies were in and around the trees on the western edge of Noah's Lake. I then retraced my steps and took the path to Noah's Hide. In the trees alongside the path I could hear a couple of Garden Warblers, but they stayed hidden in the vegetation. A Lesser Whitethroat was also heard singing and a small flock of nine Stock Doves flew other.
I then walked back to car park, over the road and on to Ham Wall RSPB. I walked out as far as the second viewing platform, but saw little of note. As I passed Loxton's Marsh I saw another Cuckoo singing atop a tree and a Bittern flew in to the reedbed. With not much else going on I returned to the car and headed off home after a good couple of hours birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment