Saturday 19 June 2010

Osmington Mills - Sat 19 Jun

After England's dire performance against Algeria I had hoped for a pick me up in the form of a Common Rosefinch which had apparently been present at Osmington Mills for the past couple of days. I had missed this species when in Poland a couple of years ago as I was there too early in the year, and had also dipped a few in the UK. So I headed off straight after work, getting to the coast at about 12.30pm.
I spent a good couple of hours searching the coastal path between Osmington Mills and Ringstead in the area between the two pill boxes where the bird had been seen. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful in my hunt and will have to wait a while longer to get Common Rosefinch on my list!
However, whilst there I did see several Linnets, including one or two very brightly coloured male birds. A pair of Stonechats were busy collecting food for nearby chicks. A few Common Whitethroats were flitting about in the bushy vegetation. Out to sea there was not too much going on, but I did see a couple of Sandwich Terns as I scanned across towards Portland and Weymouth.
Also flying about on the cliff top path were a couple of Small Tortoiseshells, a Common Blue and a handful of Meadow Browns.

No comments:

Post a Comment