Sunday 27 June 2010

Sutton Bingham - Sun 27 Jun

A big day of sport with the European Grand Prix and then a World Cup match between England and Germany. So knowing I'd spend the whole afternoon glued to the TV I popped up to Sutton Bungham for a hour or so.
From the northern causeway several Herring and Lesser Black-backed Gulls were on the water, and a single Black-headed Gull was on the West Pool. However, there was not much else going on so I drove down to the southern end and had a bit of a stroll.
Despite the fact it was still before noon it was an extremely hot morning, and as a result there were few birds around. A juvenile Peregrine soared over and I watched it about five minutes before it drifted off to the north. A Reed Warbler was singing from time to time and doing a good impression of a Blackbird's alarm call!
The meadow south of the causeway contined several butterflies. Meadow Browns were by far the most numerous, but I also saw a few Marbled Whites and a couple of Large Skippers. A single Common Blue was flitting around and a Small Tortoiseshell flew through. The highlight for me though was a Ringlet...which, although not rare, was a butterfly I had not knowingly seen before!

No comments:

Post a Comment