Wednesday 12 January 2011

Axminster and Chard Reservoir - Wed 12 Jan

For the second time in less than a week I missed some Waxwings today. It was my afternoon off and as the weather forecast was dire I didn't travel too far and drove down to Axminster to try and find the small flock of Waxwings that had been present for the last couple of days. Unfortunately the information I had on the location was pretty vague and whilst I thought I was in the right area there was no sign of the birds. I had a good walk around but despite there being loads of Starlings I could not make any of them in to Waxwings. So I gave up and headed off to Chard Reservoir.
As I arrived at the reservoir and walked out to the hide the rain had started to fall a bit more steadily. I then bumped in to the warden who had just locked up! Fortunately I knew the combination so was able to have the hide to myself for half an hour or so. An adult Goosander was the highlight, whilst other duck included three Tufted Ducks and a pair of Teal. By 4.00pm the light was really poor, the rain was coming down, and a mist was gathering on the water, so I headed back to the car. Along the way I passed through a feeding flock of Great Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, and Long-tailed Tits which also included a couple of Treecreepers and a Nuthatch. A flock of a dozen Redwings were on the top of a tree. A mixed bag this afternoon and more birds missed on the 2011 year list.

No comments:

Post a Comment