Sunday 26 June 2011

Briantspuddle - Sun 26 Jun

A return visit to an area of heathland just south of Briantspuddle that I had visited a couple of weeks ago was on the cards at lunchtime today and finally the sun was shining and it was a really hot summer day.
After a quick sandwich I walked out on to the heathland where the bright sun had encouraged a number of butterflies to take to the wing and before long I had seen several Small Heaths and Large Skippers:
While in the hedgerows nearer the road a few Ringlets and Meadow Browns were fluttering about. A single Red Admiral passed through but the highlight for me was the finding of several Silver-studded Blues:
On the bird front it was surprisingly busy considering the time of year. A Tree Pipit was singing as were a couple of Stonechats and a Yellowhammer. A Dartford Warbler was heard and seen briefly in flight.
After an hour or so I headed back home to watch the Grand Prix, which ended up being a pretty boring affair...I should've stayed out birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment