Saturday 25 June 2011

Worley Hill - Sat 25 Jun

A quick trip out this afternoon to try and catch a period of sunny weather and a visit to a new site just to the north of Somerton. Worley Hill is a private nature reserve owned by Millfield School, and is supposed to be a good site for a couple of species of hairstreaks. I found the reserve but there was no parking so I had to park a little way down the track from the reserve entrance and then took a walk around the woodland.
There was no sign of any hairstreaks but typically the sun had decided to hide behind clouds whilst I was there! Several Ringlets were on the wing as were a few Marbled and Green-veined Whites. I also saw my first Large Skipper of the year.
On the bird front a Hobby passed by overhead after mobbing a Common Buzzard and this was by far the pick of the birds. Very little else showed itself though that was hardly surprising given the time of year. So after a little under an hour I gave up and headed on home.

No comments:

Post a Comment