Saturday 29 September 2012

Portland & Ferrybridge - Sat 29 Sep

An afternoon out with Tristan and a jaunt down to the Isle of Portland to twitch a Red-backed Shrike! Arriving just after 3.30pm I parked in Southwell and walked towards the Bill and then up on to the fields. I bumped in to three other birders, none of which had seen the bird, so I left them to it and trusted my instincts and made for a vantage point where I thought I might have a chance. And sure enough my gut instinct proved correct as within minutes I was looking at a very smart female-type Red-backed Shrike. After a good look I managed to attract the attention of the other birders in the area and get them on the shrike also. So job done and good job too as there was little else about other than Meadow Pipits.
On the way back home I stopped off at Ferrybridge and walked along to view the assorted waders on the mud. I set up my 'scope and saw a nice lot of Ringed Plovers and Dunlin and a single Sanderling. Three Black-tailed Godwits were also present and I also got on two Curlew Sandpipers that had been present for a few days. But time was against us and we had to get back home for dinner, so no time to stop anywhere else but a lovely afternoon out.

No comments:

Post a Comment