Monday 13 May 2013

Lodmoor RSPB & Briantspuddle - Sun 12 May

A morning out today and I headed to the coast and took a walk around the RSPB reserve at Lodmoor (though I did take a little diversion to Ferrybridge to add Little Tern to the year list!). I took the circular path around Lodmoor and spent around a hour or so on site. It was pretty quiet on the bird front with regards to variety. A Cuckoo showed well if distantly and loads of Swifts were feeding over the reserve. The reedbeds held lots of singing Reed, Sedge and Cetti's Warblers, whilst the muddy areas produced just six Dunlin and seven Black-tailed Godwits. The Common Tern colony seemed to be doing well though with a conservative estimate of sixty or so birds present.
When I got back to the car I realised that there was still some time before I needed to be back at home, so I set off for Briantspuddle and another walk around the area of heathland near the village. I had a lot more joy today as a Tree Pipit showed well and as I continued along the path I could hear the distinctive purring of a Turtle Dove. Eventually I found the bird in question as it showed really well out in the open...and I had left my 'scope in the car! I did attempt a couple of record shots with my phone help against my binoculars!
Another Cuckoo was heard, though this one failed to show itself, and a male Yellowhammer looked very smart as it called from the top of a tree. As seems to be the case every time I visit this site there were a couple of singing Siskins in the pines. So a good morning out and four new birds on the year list.

No comments:

Post a Comment