Thursday 2 May 2013

Wet Moor - Wed 1 May

A lovely afternoon, blue skies, and over 20 degrees according to the thermometer in the car, and I took a trip up to Wet Moor and enjoyed an hour or so walking around. As I got out of the car a Lesser Whitethroat was singing away and eventually gave itself up enabling me to have some wonderful views of what I usually find to be a rather skulking warbler.
Out on to the moor proper I eventually managed to see a couple of Yellow Wagtails as they flew up from the track. At least three others were heard calling, but they all decided to stay hidden in the undergrowth. I did manage to get good views of one though as it sheltered, and I was pleased to find that it was a Blue-headed Wagtail, see the terrible photo below: 
With a bit of a gusty wind there was not much else showing, though I did see a single Wheatear and a few Skylarks. Retracing my steps (having walked a couple of miles) I located a smashing male Yellow Wagtail in the field right next to the car!
 
A Linnet then flew in and sang away for a while and a Sedge Warbler gave a half-hearted warble from within a clump of brambles, and that was pretty much it for the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment