Monday 15 September 2014

Sutton Bingham - Sun 14 Sep

A late morning visit produced a bit of variety from the northern causeway, though nothing much else of note. A Common Sandpiper was seen zooming over the water until lost to view near the Fishing Lodge and a Little Egret was feeding on the dam. Highlight though was a juvenile Osprey showing well from the northern causeway and even better from the car park until flushed by a sailing boat.
 
Though I can't say for sure, I'm pretty certain this is a different bird than the one seen last weekend because as far as I know there have been no sightings at the reservoir for a week.
Returning later in the day I spent nearly an hour around the Water Treatment Works as the bushes seemed to be alive with Chiffchaffs, there must have been at least twenty birds...but try as I might I could not find anything more unusual amongst them. A couple of Meadow Pipits flew over heading north and other bits and pieces seen around here included a few Goldcrests and Grey Wagtails. I then drove on round to the southern end of the reservoir, but failed to see anything other than Great Crested Grebes. A quick stop near the Canoe Club produced some great views of the Osprey as it hunted, I managed to see one unsuccessful fishing attempt...spectacular stuff! On then to the northern causeway again and a surprise find with a female Shoveler being present...where was that earlier in the day? Another tick on the patch year list.
Sutton Bingham year list for 2014 now at 103 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment