Thursday 4 September 2014

Sutton Bingham - Wed 3 Sep

I spent a few hours at the reservoir this afternoon and it turned out to be a pretty profitable visit. Scanning the fence along the edge of West Pool I located a total of four Whinchats, my highest ever count of this species at Sutton Bingham as they tend to pass through in ones or twos. They were joined by a female Reed Bunting for a short while.
Walking from the car park south along the water's edge I was checking the Chiffchaffs feeding in the small sallows and willows when I noticed an Osprey perched on in a tree on the far bank! Unfortunately it did not hang around and soon took to the air and headed north, I was unable to relocate it. This is the third Osprey I've seen on the patch this year.
Just to the south of the Canoe Club I picked out a falcon hunting over the fields opposite, a Hobby! Within a few minutes it had been joined by two more with all three hawking insects.
Returning to the car park I failed to see anything else of note, but some cracking birds this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment